ENT Head & Neck Surgery Center

Rm 02, 5/F., Kai Seng Commerical Centre,
4-6 Hankow Road, TST Kln, HK
(near Kowloon Hotel)
Tel: (852) 3100 0555
Fax: (852) 3100 0556

Lawrence Chow / ENT Doctor

Nose Problems – Should I See an ENT Specialist?

Nose Problems – Should I See an ENT Specialist?
The human body is anything but simple. There are many different organs in our body performing many different functions. For most people, the idea of nose problems is not familiar to them. Most of us associate diseases and infections with our lungs, our heart, our brain, our digestive tract, etc but the nose is often overlooked. The truth is, our nose does cause problems every once in awhile, although for some, they have chronic problems that are related to their nose.


Let’s take a look at some of the common nose problems so you can discover for yourself whether you should see a nose specialist (ENT doctor/ ENT specialist):


Sleep Apnea
Sleep apnea is a sleep disorder that causes a person stop breathing many times while sleeping. For some, they stop breathing for as long as 10-20 seconds, which is really dangerous. Some doctors refer to it as obstructive sleep apnea and it is more prevalent in men than in women.


Possible causes include being overweight, excessive alcohol consumption, tobacco smoking, enlarged thyroid glands and lung disease. Symptoms of sleep apnea include loud snoring interrupted with pauses followed by deep gasps. Some sufferers also report not feeling rested when they awake in the morning. They also complain about morning headaches, daytime sleepiness, trouble concentrating, irritability, anxiety. If you have these problems, make sure to see a specialist as soon as possible. Sleep apnea can affect your quality of life.


A nosebleed happens when the lining of the inner nose are irritated. Medically known as epistaxis, its most common causes are: breakdown in the membrane lining of the nose, injury to face, high altitude, drug abuse, high blood pressure, anti blood clotting medications, and certain medical problems. If you are getting nosebleeds at least once a week, you should make an appointment with an ENT specialist. Your doctor can evaluate your condition and find out what is causing your nosebleeds.


Sinusitis is a condition brought about by the swollen, infected linings of your sinuses. These are essentially hollow spaces in the facial bones and skull connecting to the nose. Symptoms of sinusitis may include pressure in your head, a painful headache when you bend down or awaken, tenderness around the eyes, aching in the jaws and teeth, runny or sometimes stuffy nose, cough, postnasal drip, and sore throat. If you have symptoms of sinusitis, it may be best to see your doctor especially if occurs regularly or does not go away. There are medications designed to treat sinusitis, depending on the cause of the condition.


If any of the above nose problems affect you, it is imperative that you see an ENT doctor as soon as possible. While these are usually not emergency cases, getting the appropriate treatment will ensure that your problem does not worsen or become complicated.




HK ENT Specialist Ltd.

Hong Kong based ENT clinic centre

For ENT Services, Audiology & Speech Therapy,

Sleep Disordered Breathing Management,

Hearing Aid Prescription & Medical Cosmetic Services


註: 本站無論中文繁體,中文簡體和英文內容所提及的疾病和治療方法僅供讀者參考,並不代表本站推薦該種療法,亦不能代替專業醫生診治,讀者如有需要,應該尋求專業醫生意見或聯絡香港耳鼻喉專科。